Jagged Visions - Missed them.
Timebomb - Missed them.
Break Away - Missed them.
Jesus Piece - Missed them.
True Love - Missed them.
Blistered - Even though we saw them a few days beforehand at Roboto, I wanted to get there to see them again. Good band, fast heavy modern hardcore sound. They pretty much killed it. A good surprise and a good improvement over their set last year.
Naysayer - At one point I felt like this band was Terror Jr. But now I'm not so hot on this band. Their songs are just real average, and the live show is so so. No disrespect to this band, but they're just ok.
Freedom - On the other hand I love this band. Great singer. Some oi punk influence to their tough slower hardcore. Great band. I was super stoked that they were supposed to play Skullfest a few weeks later.
Angel Dust - I like this band a lot. Some of their songs sound a little bit like surf punk, a little groove to it. I liked the set. Good energy.
Zao - I know this is a local band from SWPA, but I don't really care for them. I was outside eating and drinking during their set. Listening from outside they didn't play any of the few songs of theirs that I know.
All Else Failed - Good set. I don't like listening to them much on recordings, but the live set ripped. I'm going to give them another chance.
Strife - From LA. They're a seasoned band, 1990's style heavy hardcore. They had good stage presence and a good set. I don't especially like Strife, but I enjoyed the set.
Ruiner - Great set from the Philly band. The crowd was real into it. I don't know a lot of Ruiner songs but they brought it hard. Really liked the set. One of the better ones of the fest.
Breakdown - I wasn't sure if they were going to be good, because a lot of their albums are average. By a lot I mean one of like three. The lead singer is the funniest guy in hardcore. I love Slumlords and now Breakdown. Making fun of everything, he's great. I really really liked the set, best band of the day.
Floorpunch - I was surprised at how good they were. I hadn't ever seen them play live, but expected the worst after being disappointed by World War 4 for a few years. Floorpunch is one of those straight edge bands that is more fun than anything else. I liked the show.
Turning Point - I was happy with everything from Turning Point. They played the set with 3 different singers, obviously because the lead singer dies of an overdose I think. The first guy from Mouthpiece was good. The second guy was from 108, he was the best. Third was the guy from Thursday, he was good. And lastly was the guy from Mouthpiece again. Good set, good length, nothing to complain about.
All in all This is hardcore was a huge success. Next year we'll be back. The hotel we stayed at was some fancy one the first few days, then the Parkway Inn on Baltimore Pike in Springfield PA. It was a great place. About 30 mins from the venue. We got the porn channel for free for a few days. There was a religious ceremony of sorts going on in the lobby on Sunday. Great place. One final take away about the barrier in the venue is that I really liked it and hope they set it up the same next year too.
Best Bands at This is Hardcore
1. Wisdom in Chains
2. Iron Reagan
3. Down to Nothing
4. Code Orange
5. Youth of Today
Most Disappointing Bands
Most Precious Blood
No comments:
Post a Comment