Welcome

Welcome, come to a show! Below is a list of shows going on in and around Southwest PA.

10-15 The Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band, Pittsburgh @Club Cafe
10-16 The Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band, night 2, Pittsburgh @Club Cafe
10-17 Days N Daze, Bridge City Sinners, Apes of State, Crazy and the Brains, Pittsburgh @Spirit
10-23 Slapshot, Sheer Terror, Next Step Up, Iron Price, Skullcrack, Frederick MD @Cafe 611
10-23 Punktober Fest, Hagard Wulf, Rutabaga Suicide, Defiant Blood, All the Damn Vampires, The Homisides, Cumberland MD @Dig Deep Brewing Co
10-27 Mephiskapheles, Children of October, Boiled Denim, Pittsburgh @Ormsby Ave Cafe
10-31 GAG, Heavy Discipline, Necroheads, Pittsburgh @Collision
10-31 Sheer Terror, Submachine, Pittsburgh @Rock Room
11-9 The Slackers, Fubar, Inco Fido, Pittsburgh @the Crafthouse
11-9 Bad Religion, Alkaline Trio, Pittsburgh @Stage AE
11-11Dying Fetus, Terror, Pittsburgh@Spirit
11-13 Fubar, Inco Fido, Sneaky Heat Missiles, The Biscuits, Greensburg @Green Beacon Gallery
11-14 Enforced, Steel Nation, Settle for Nothing, Vulgar Royalty, Morgantown WV @123 Pleasant Street
11-19, Municipal Waste, Crowbar, Skeletal Remains, Dead Heat, Pittsburgh @Spirit
11-20 Anti-Flag, Suicide Machines, Punchline, Bad Cop Bad Cop, Doll Skin, Swiss Army, Pittsburgh @Roxian Theater
11-20 VCTMS, Born A New, Gravebirth, Ire, Pittsburgh @Preserving Underground
11-21 Protomartyr, The Gotobeds, Pittsburgh @Club Cafe
11-26 Koffin Kats, Pittsburgh @Club Cafe
11-28 Exhorder, Take Offense, Extinction AD, Plague Years, Pittsburgh @Crafthouse
12-8 Blood Incantation, Primitive Man, Sissy Spacek, Jarhead Fertilizer, Pittsburgh @Funhouse Mr. Smalls
12-19 Bushido Code, Steel Nation, Age of Ruin, Fire in the Blood, Pittsburgh @Preserving Underground
1-5 Spotlights, Eternal Sleep, Pittsburgh @Preserving Hardcore
1-25 Fucked Up, David Comes to Life, Empath, Pittsburgh @Mr. Smalls
2-28 Meshuggah, Converge, Torche, Pittsburgh @Stage AE
3-13 Sepultura, Sacred Reich, Crowbar, Art of Shock, Pittsburgh @Thunderbird Cafe
3-13 Blitzkid, more, Pittsburgh @Preserving Underground
3-29 Circle Jerks, 7 Seconds, Negative Approach, Pittsburgh @Mr. Smalls
4-14 DRI, Truckstop, Pittsburgh @Preserving Underground

Monday, April 29, 2013

4-28 Raw Power, Wartorn, Submachine, Oh Shit They're Going to Kill Us, Lady Beast, Pittsburgh @Belvederes

I had hopeful expectations of this show, and was not disappointed. On Facebook the event had around 150 people that said they were going to the show. Well that turned out to be a bit high. I think probably around 75 people paid to get in. But the crowd was good size for punk in the Burgh at a dive bar on a Sunday. Despite the normal crappyness of Belvederes, it's a great place for punk shows. I really like the PA, the vocals always come over pretty clear. And I love the drink prices, $2 PBR's all night long. So those things make for a sweet punk show. At some point before Wartorn played there was a little fight back by the pool tables. I don't know what it was all about but it looked like the singer from Killer of Sheep tackles some white guy and yelled at him. The white guy got tossed, his girlfriend was pissed off, the end.

Lady Beast - I had heard this band was a metal band, but I hadn't seen them before. They have a very rock and roll metal sound, and the singer had rock and roll body language. They were entertaining. I think the guitarists of this band were of higher quality than the other guitarists to play this night. I liked the set, though I normally prefer bands with vocals a bit more raw. I'd see them again.

Oh Shit They're Going to Kill Us - Local thrash metal group. The singer is good, though the band isn't particularly entertaining. They were a bit better to bang your head to, and a bit less attractive in general than Lady Beast. All in all I enjoyed the set.

Submachine - Local hardcore punk band that is a more popular group in the local area. They've been playing for a long time now, I think they got together in 1990 or something. The set was good. Punks were into it. It was a good time. There isn't really anything defining about their musical style. Not extremely fast or loud or heavy, but still very good. The singer was particularly entertaining.

Wartorn - Most of the crowd seemed to not like this band, but I thought they were pretty sweet. More of a hardcore band than anyone else on the bill. I'd say they classify as a d-beat/thrash metal/hardcore band. The vocals were pretty growly and the music was great for banging your head. I think a lot of the punks were turned off by them because the singer looked real clean and his voice was more of a shitty metalcore type than the punks like to get into. But they went down as my favorite band of the evening.

Raw Power - They are on tour in the States from Italy. I was expecting something a little more raw. They were a similar band to Submachine but a little less aggressive. I enjoyed the set. The singer said some things that were funny. I'd go see them again, but I wasn't blown away. The crowd stuck around until the end of the set, it was a good night.

HI's - turnout, cheap drinks, all the bands
Lows - nothing

1 comment:

  1. Killer of Sheep did an awesome Body Count cover at the Wisdom in Chains show, so, based entirely on that fact, I'm guessing the singer said something funny that the white dude didn't get. Then the white dude probably said something racist.

    ReplyDelete