Welcome

Welcome, come to a show! Below is a list of shows going on in and around Southwest PA.

10-15 The Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band, Pittsburgh @Club Cafe
10-16 The Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band, night 2, Pittsburgh @Club Cafe
10-17 Days N Daze, Bridge City Sinners, Apes of State, Crazy and the Brains, Pittsburgh @Spirit
10-23 Slapshot, Sheer Terror, Next Step Up, Iron Price, Skullcrack, Frederick MD @Cafe 611
10-23 Punktober Fest, Hagard Wulf, Rutabaga Suicide, Defiant Blood, All the Damn Vampires, The Homisides, Cumberland MD @Dig Deep Brewing Co
10-27 Mephiskapheles, Children of October, Boiled Denim, Pittsburgh @Ormsby Ave Cafe
10-31 GAG, Heavy Discipline, Necroheads, Pittsburgh @Collision
10-31 Sheer Terror, Submachine, Pittsburgh @Rock Room
11-9 The Slackers, Fubar, Inco Fido, Pittsburgh @the Crafthouse
11-9 Bad Religion, Alkaline Trio, Pittsburgh @Stage AE
11-11Dying Fetus, Terror, Pittsburgh@Spirit
11-13 Fubar, Inco Fido, Sneaky Heat Missiles, The Biscuits, Greensburg @Green Beacon Gallery
11-14 Enforced, Steel Nation, Settle for Nothing, Vulgar Royalty, Morgantown WV @123 Pleasant Street
11-19, Municipal Waste, Crowbar, Skeletal Remains, Dead Heat, Pittsburgh @Spirit
11-20 Anti-Flag, Suicide Machines, Punchline, Bad Cop Bad Cop, Doll Skin, Swiss Army, Pittsburgh @Roxian Theater
11-20 VCTMS, Born A New, Gravebirth, Ire, Pittsburgh @Preserving Underground
11-21 Protomartyr, The Gotobeds, Pittsburgh @Club Cafe
11-26 Koffin Kats, Pittsburgh @Club Cafe
11-28 Exhorder, Take Offense, Extinction AD, Plague Years, Pittsburgh @Crafthouse
12-8 Blood Incantation, Primitive Man, Sissy Spacek, Jarhead Fertilizer, Pittsburgh @Funhouse Mr. Smalls
12-19 Bushido Code, Steel Nation, Age of Ruin, Fire in the Blood, Pittsburgh @Preserving Underground
1-5 Spotlights, Eternal Sleep, Pittsburgh @Preserving Hardcore
1-25 Fucked Up, David Comes to Life, Empath, Pittsburgh @Mr. Smalls
2-28 Meshuggah, Converge, Torche, Pittsburgh @Stage AE
3-13 Sepultura, Sacred Reich, Crowbar, Art of Shock, Pittsburgh @Thunderbird Cafe
3-13 Blitzkid, more, Pittsburgh @Preserving Underground
3-29 Circle Jerks, 7 Seconds, Negative Approach, Pittsburgh @Mr. Smalls
4-14 DRI, Truckstop, Pittsburgh @Preserving Underground

Sunday, November 4, 2012

11-3 Epica, Alestorm, Insomnium, System Divide, Pittsburgh @Altar Bar

Pre-show last night I hadn't heard any of the other bands other than Alestorm. Expected it to be a debauchery of nu-metalcore nu-metal or some other bullshit. I was pretty much right.

Right off the bat Epica left me with a bad taste in my mouth because they kicked all the local openers off the bill. A few bands like Second Empire and Deathlehem were supposed to play, but at Epica's request the only bands that played were the touring bands they brought with them. That's just some rockstar shit, all I'm saying.

All in all turnout seemed really good. I'm thinking there were around 200 people there. Maybe 250. So I'm sure the promoter cleaned up on that one. Let's assume everyone paid $25 for the presale price and no one got the $27 at the door, or the $60 VIP whatever the fuck that is. 25 x 200 = 5000. That's a lot of cheese and if this metal tour cost more than that to bring through, that's fucked up.

System Divide - Boy did this band suck. They were on some tough metalcore shit brought to you by some bald guy, then some chic would sing some shit. For one I didn't like the way the chic was wiggling around on stage. She wasn't banging the head right. So they're fucking up right there. Then the songs are all confused, are they tough? Are they wimpy? They had no identity. Some 105.9 the X faux-underground bullshit metal. That's what I call it. We only stayed to watch two songs of theirs because of how bad it was. It looked like some people liked it. I think I disliked this band about as much as I've ever disliked a band before.

I have a serious accusation against System Divide that gets it's own paragraph here due to the nature of the allegation. I think both singers for System Divide were singing over a track, or completely lip-syncing. Let me explain the allegation farther. During the second song, which is the last song I saw of theirs, the dude singer was growling some shit and I guess he did something bad with the mic and it squealed at him in the middle of him singing. He took the mic away from his face and looked to the right, presumably at his sound guy, all pissed off. When the mic was away from his face, his lips weren't moving to the music (they were like what the fuck), there was no mic there to catch the vibrations if he had been, but the vocals to that song were still going. The mishap was only noticeable for two seconds, but it made me start to pay very close attention. That's when I noticed that there was something wrong with the chic's singing too. So, to clarify the allegation, here is what I think happened last night: System Divide played over a track. 75% of the sound we heard was a cd, 25% was the actual band. I know the microphones and shit were on because of the squeal, but I also know for a fact there was a track playing because I heard the singer singing when there was no singing being sung. Make sense? /rant

Insomnium - This band brought more of a respectable sound to the stage. Where the first band was some radio metal shit, this band was a little too heavy and too metal for the average Pittsburgh metal fan. I don't know which subgenre of metal I'd classify them as. But they weren't any one traditional style, but a mixture of things. It was nice that there was no nice singing involved and all the guys were fat metalheads. We watched 2 songs. While they were much better than the first band, still not worth my time.

Alestorm - I was all amped up for this and Alestorm didn't let me down. A few funny things happened right off the bat. This band is from Perth, Scotland. I'm pretty sure they announced right off the bat that they are Alestorm from Sacramento California. I'm not sure what that was about, but it was an interesting start. Second immediate observation of humor, their guitarist is a midget. It's true. We were hoping there would be a midget being funny, and they one upped us by having a midget in the band. And the lead singer is barely taller than the midget himself. The keytar was in effect. The singer was wearing a Pittsburgh Pirates shirt, which was the obvious choice that evening. The midget was wearing a Deathlehem shirt, that's one of the local bands that got kicked off. It makes me happy to think that they're not getting along well with Epica because of their rock star persona. Anyway I think the set only consisted of 9 songs. The Sunk'n Norwegian, Shipwrecked, Leviathan, Rum, Death Throes of the Terrorsquid, Nancy's Harbor Cafe, Captain Morgans Revenge, Keelhauled, and Pirate Song. It was great. I'd go see Alestorm again for $25.

Epica - This band sucks. One looooooong song in, we left. The chic singer sure can sing real nice, but that doesn't do shit for anyone when the songs suck. Some rock star metal fucks. Glad I had the foresight to leave before that set got real embarrassing.

All in all the evening was enjoyable for many of the same reasons it was not enjoyable, the fans. Radio metal fans are idiots. This guy who was up in front of me, a little short fuck with a ponytail was looking all pissed off whenever someone would bump him during Alestorm. That fucker was turned around facing me more than he was the stage. So of course any time I had the opportunity to push someone into him I gave him an extra hard shove. Fuck that idiot and fuck everyone else there who probably like shim. But we did have a grand time goofing on everyone and everything.

Hi's - Alestorm, idiots, inebriation
Low's - All the other bands, idiots, the price

No comments:

Post a Comment