Welcome

Welcome, come to a show! Below is a list of shows going on in and around Southwest PA.

10-15 The Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band, Pittsburgh @Club Cafe
10-16 The Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band, night 2, Pittsburgh @Club Cafe
10-17 Days N Daze, Bridge City Sinners, Apes of State, Crazy and the Brains, Pittsburgh @Spirit
10-23 Slapshot, Sheer Terror, Next Step Up, Iron Price, Skullcrack, Frederick MD @Cafe 611
10-23 Punktober Fest, Hagard Wulf, Rutabaga Suicide, Defiant Blood, All the Damn Vampires, The Homisides, Cumberland MD @Dig Deep Brewing Co
10-27 Mephiskapheles, Children of October, Boiled Denim, Pittsburgh @Ormsby Ave Cafe
10-31 GAG, Heavy Discipline, Necroheads, Pittsburgh @Collision
10-31 Sheer Terror, Submachine, Pittsburgh @Rock Room
11-9 The Slackers, Fubar, Inco Fido, Pittsburgh @the Crafthouse
11-9 Bad Religion, Alkaline Trio, Pittsburgh @Stage AE
11-11Dying Fetus, Terror, Pittsburgh@Spirit
11-13 Fubar, Inco Fido, Sneaky Heat Missiles, The Biscuits, Greensburg @Green Beacon Gallery
11-14 Enforced, Steel Nation, Settle for Nothing, Vulgar Royalty, Morgantown WV @123 Pleasant Street
11-19, Municipal Waste, Crowbar, Skeletal Remains, Dead Heat, Pittsburgh @Spirit
11-20 Anti-Flag, Suicide Machines, Punchline, Bad Cop Bad Cop, Doll Skin, Swiss Army, Pittsburgh @Roxian Theater
11-20 VCTMS, Born A New, Gravebirth, Ire, Pittsburgh @Preserving Underground
11-21 Protomartyr, The Gotobeds, Pittsburgh @Club Cafe
11-26 Koffin Kats, Pittsburgh @Club Cafe
11-28 Exhorder, Take Offense, Extinction AD, Plague Years, Pittsburgh @Crafthouse
12-8 Blood Incantation, Primitive Man, Sissy Spacek, Jarhead Fertilizer, Pittsburgh @Funhouse Mr. Smalls
12-19 Bushido Code, Steel Nation, Age of Ruin, Fire in the Blood, Pittsburgh @Preserving Underground
1-5 Spotlights, Eternal Sleep, Pittsburgh @Preserving Hardcore
1-25 Fucked Up, David Comes to Life, Empath, Pittsburgh @Mr. Smalls
2-28 Meshuggah, Converge, Torche, Pittsburgh @Stage AE
3-13 Sepultura, Sacred Reich, Crowbar, Art of Shock, Pittsburgh @Thunderbird Cafe
3-13 Blitzkid, more, Pittsburgh @Preserving Underground
3-29 Circle Jerks, 7 Seconds, Negative Approach, Pittsburgh @Mr. Smalls
4-14 DRI, Truckstop, Pittsburgh @Preserving Underground

Sunday, November 20, 2011

11-20 From the Back of the Room: A Documentary About Women in Punk, Icon Gallery @Mr. Roboto Project

This evening was an interesting evening. First off this was my first time to the new Mr. Roboto Project location. I'm happy to see that it's larger than the old space, nicer than the old, and better in pretty much every way. The only con is that in front of where the band plays at is a wooden structural support. But that's a small problem. The bill for tonight was a screening of a new documentary about women in punk rock, and then a band played a set.

From the Back of the Room: A Documentary About Women in Punk - I was suprised at how many people turned out to see this film. Roboto was pretty much packed to the hilt. We got there right before they put the film on and we had to stand for most of it against the wall because all the seats and spots on the floor were taken. It ran about 90 minuites, which was about 30 minuites too long by my take. I thought they could have edited it better to have some of the audio interviews playing while showing a band's set to cut down on runtime. Also I think they could have cut down a few of the topics talked about because some points were rehashed a few times in different segments.
There were some things I liked very much about the film. I liked how they didn't bash men at all. The film didn't demean the presence of men in the underground. I also liked the perspectives on the Riot Girl movement, with a few of the women interviewed saying how they never got into Riot Girl bands because they weren't mean enough and were too normal or friendly. The film had a few laughs and a vast assortment of punker ladies interviewed. All in all I thought it was pretty well done and documented an important issue.

Icon Gallery - It was ironic how immediately following a film that gives big props to women in punk rock, 60% of the people in the house left and didn't stay in support of a punk band with a female singer. All the film nerds and hipster fucks bounced and didn't stick around for the band. Bullshit. Icon Gallery's singer is awesome, she sounds great on the mic. I enjoyed the short set very much. Though, to my dismay, I don't think I'll ever hear my favorite Icon Gallery song live. It's from the demo and they just don't play those songs, I don't think.

Hi's - turnout, the band, most of the film, Mr. Roboto Project in a great new location and very much improved
Low's - it was hot in there during the movie, having to stand

No comments:

Post a Comment